1.National Health Insurance
In Japan, National Health Insurance makes it easy to obtain medical services in case of illness or injury.
All international students staying in Japan with the qualification as g ryugaku status h are required to join the National Health Insurance Program while they are in Japan.
By enrolling in this insurance, policyholders will only have to bear 30% of the expenses required for medical treatment and/or hospitalization.
International students should apply to join National Health Insurance when they visit City Hall. A National Health In surance card will be issued at the same section on the same day. You have to take your insurance card whenever you receive a medical examination or/and a treatment.
After joining National Health Insurance, fees must be paid every month. However, a 60% reduction in the fees will be provided to those who can demonstrate that they had no income or below a certain income in Japan for the previous year. Please confirm the procedures for declaring your income at your local city hall when you joined.
In addition, there is a system called g benefit for high - cost medical care, h under which medical fees exceeding a designated limit will be supplied. Please ask at the National Health Insurance Section at City Hall for more details .
When you go back to your home country after finishing study in Japan, you must return your insurance card in advance to the local city hall and clear any remaining fees .
Japan Educational Exchanges and Services, the organization which provides services and support for all student s in Japan, offers two types of insurance systems. These cover expenses for physical damages that international students incur during regular school work, extra - curricular activities or the commute between home and the university. The insurance will also cover compensation for injuries or damages inflicted in Japan by international students on others during classes, at school events or the commute to or from school. These two insurances must be used together.
All international students, including research s tudents, are eligible to apply, and all students must purchase these insurances.
For details and application procedure, please ask at the Student Welfare Section of the Student Support Division.

(1) Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Educati on and Research ( Gakkensai )
This insurance covers expenses for physical damage that international students incur during regular school work, extra - curricular activities and the commute between home and the university. Expenses will be paid according to the number of days of treatment.

(2) Third Party Liability Insurance Incident to Disaster and Accident Insurance for Student Education and Research ( Gakkenbai )
This insurance provides compensation as covered by law for injuries or damages inflicted by international students on another person during class, at school events, or while commuting to or from school. Please note that this insurance does not cover accidents during extra - curricular programs, except in some unusual circumstances.
Both forms of insuranc e must be purchased at the same time. Premiums for the insurance are as follows.

The HP for both insurances is

The HP for Japan Educational Exchanges and Services is
Status Duration of Insurance Premium
Undergraduate Letters
Human Life and Environment
4years 4,660yen
Gakkensai 3,300yen Gakkenbai 1,360yen
Graduate School Humanities and Sciences
Masterfs Course
2years 2,430 yen
Gakkensai 1,750yen Gakkenbai 680yen
Humanities and Sciences
Doctoral Course
3years 3,620 yen
Gakkensai 2,600yen Gakkenbai 1,020yen
Non - degree students Letters
Human Life and Environment
Humanities and Sciences
1years 1,340 yen
Gakkensai 1,000yen Gakkenbai 340yen
Also, Japanese Government Scholarship students and exchange students must apply for the other insurance. The International Students Section of the International Division explains the insurance to eligible students individually. Please ask a staff of the section for details.
3.Health Administration Center
The university Health Administration Center help s students maintain and improve their health. The center is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Please visit the nurse f s room when you need help.
Outside of the hours above, please call the Emagency Rielief Center in Nara.
4.Regular Health Check
The regular health check for all students is conducted in early April every year. The schedule is announced on the Health Administration Centerfs website ( http://www.nara - wu.ac.jp/hoken/index.html ) or on bulletin boards. The medical examination includes physical measurement, internal examination, chest X - ray, eye test, urinary examination and other tests.
The automatic certificate - issuing machine will issue the results of the examination (The Medical Exam ination Certificate).
5.Hospitals and C linics around the university
Ë@ dbԍ fÉȖړ
Nara City Hospital 0742-24-1251 Internal Medicine, Surgery, Radiology, other
Hashimoto Family Clinic 0742-25-2828 Internal Medicine, preventive inoculation , other
Sawai Hospital 0742-23-3086 Internal Medicine, Surgery, Radiology, Orthopedics, other
Kitano Clinic 0742-22-6041 Internal Medicine , dermatology , Surgery
Tsukamoto orthopedic surgery 0742-23-5680 Orthopedic surgery
Takai Ladies Clinic 0742-26-0551 Gynecology
Fujiwara Clinic 0742-21-6501 Mental clinic (appointment needed)
Ishizaki Eye Clinic 0742-26-2091 Ophthalmological clinic
Iida dermatology 0742-23-0701 Dermatology
Komai dermatology clinic 0742-27-0361 Dermatology
Tamaki otolaryngology 0742-26-6587 Otolaryngology
Terada Dental Clinic 0742-26-2158 Dentistry
Hayashi Dental Clinic 0742-22-3192 Dentistry
Nara City Emergency Clinic 0742-34-1228 Internal Medicine, Pediatrics
Sunday and Holiday : 9 :30 ` 18:30
Saturday :14:30 ` 18:30
Night: 21 :30 ` 5: 30a.m .
Nara City Emergency Dental Clinic 0742-70-4182 Dentist ry (Holiday 9:30 ` 15:30)