1.In Case of Emergency
(1) Telephone Numbers
In case of crime or traffic accident: Call the Police Station (TEL: 110)
In case of fire, serious injury, or sudden illness: Call the Fire Department (TEL: 119)

(2) How to make an emergency call from a public telephone (Emergency calls are free of charge)
‡@Pick up the receiver and press the emergency button
‡APress g 119 h or g 110 h
‡Bexplain your emergency situat ion (crime, fire, traffic accident etc.)
‡CTell them your name; address or place where you are; and a building or landmark near you.

(3) Using an ambulance
The ambulance is a 24 hour free service. However, medical costs will be your own expense. While you are waiting for ambulance , please prepare insurance card, r esidence card and cash.
The ambulance will come with a red rotat ing light and sound a siren. It depends on the situation, but when you hear the siren, please go outside and wave your hands to sign al for ambulance.
The ambulance can be used only when treatment is needed in the emergency. Please go to the nearby hospital by using the public transportation or taxi etc , when you are not seriously injur ed.

(4) f you are involved in an emergency, please report to the International Students Section and academic advisor as soon as you possibly can. At the night or on holidays , please contact to the university guard room.
International Students Section of International Division@TEL: 0742-20-3240
U niversity G uard room@TEL: 0742-20-3214
A lot of hous ing in Japan consist s of a combustible material. You should always pay close attention to the fire prevention . Especially, please take care about the handling of the heating apparatus and the gas, etc. when you going out, or sleeping. Even if you find a fire or a fire is started by accident , tell the neighbors and ask for help to extinction of a fire.
The extinction in the early stages is very important , but please evacuate without delay if not possible. when a fire reaches to the ceiling, you are too late to evacuate. Please note , do not lose the way out while you rivet your attention on the extinction. Basically , please use the fire extinguisher to extinction. Please do not pour water when a fire enters the oiled pan because it causes to build up a fire more.
Smoke is poisonous . Please cover the mouth with the wet towel, and low position when you evacuate .
Japan is a country with many earthquakes . To reduce damage , it is very important to have daily preparations .

(1) preparation for the earthquake
‡@I t may be necessary to put nails in the wardrobe and the bookshelf, etc. and m ake sure you do not have things stored in high places
‡APrepare the fire extinguisher and check the instillation place beforehand
‡BPreparing the goods to take out in an emergency situation . Especially , Put your Passport, residence card and insurance card in a safe place where you can easily get to it
‡CMake sure to participate in local fire prevention training and work together with your neighbors to create fire prevention m easures

(2) When an earthquake occurs suddenly?
‡@Go under the table or desk and look to your own safety
‡AOpen the window or door to secure an exit. However, do not panic and rush outside
‡BTurn off the gas main, and unplug unnecessary appliances
‡CWhen a fire breaks out, try extinction by using the fire extinguisher
‡DDonft get close to the possibility of collapsible things outside such as wall or entrance gate etc
‡EIt's important to get correct information by using the TV or radio
4.Electricity E Water E Gas
In general, utilities (electricity, water, and gas) are not included in rent. You have to apply for each. The voltage in Nara, located in the Kansai area, is 100V, and the frequency is 60Hz. Electricity in eastern Japan (from Fujikawa , Shizuoka Prefecture) uses a frequency of 50Hz. Please be aware of this and be careful when using electrical appliances.
City gas is not supplied in some areas in Nara City . Propane gas is used in those areas. Gas appliances vary depending on the types of gas. You should confirm which type of appliance would work at the gas company or related stores.
Contact information for each utility service is as follows. When you start or stop using electricity in the dormitory, you should contact each service company a few day s before.

Electricity: Kansai Electric Power Co. , Nara branchiTEL:0800-777-8052j
Water: Nara City Waterworks BureauiTEL:0742-34-5200j
Gas: Osaka Gas Co., Customerfs Center, Hokutoh (North East) Living Sales OfficeiTEL:0120-5-94817j
5.Payments for Public Utilities
The following are the payment methods and other notices regarding public utilities.

(1) Automatic Transfer
The payments are withdrawn on the designated day from your savings account (bank account or postal savings). To complete the necessary procedures, ask a teller at the bank or the post office.

(2) Direct Payment
You make payments each time at the branch office of public - service compan ies, banks, or post offices

(3) Payment after the deadline
Y o u have to pay bills directly at the branch office of public - service compan ies.

(4) When moving
You make payments on the day of your move. In such cases, you should contact the service companies in advance. When you move in Japan domestically, sometimes it is possible to receive your invoice later by post or arrange for automatic money transfer . Please contact each company to confirm.
(1) Cellular Phones
Recently , the number of students buying cellular phones has increased. We recommend that you check the plans and telephone fees of several different telephone companies before you sign a contract.
When you contract with a cellular phone company, you need to bring an ID (such as your r esidence card or passport).

(2) Public Phones
In Japan, you can find public phone s in downtown areas .
To use a public phone, insert 10 - yen or 100 - yen coins and/or a telephone card. You need to confirm which types are accepted when you use a public phone. The charge for a local call is 10 yen per minute. The charge for a long - distance call differs depending on the area and the time you call

(3) International Calls
You can make international calls from public phones with the g INTERNATIONAL TELEPHONE h sign. You can also find this type of phone around the university, such as at Kintetsu Nara Station. Every telephone company has different call charges. It depends on which country or area you call. Please check with each telephone or cellular phone company.

ƒHow to make an international phone call„
KDDIF001{010{ountry Code + Area code + Number
NTTF0033{010{ountry Code + Area code + Number
SoftbankF0041{010{ountry Code + Area code + Number
7.Postal Service
(1) Receiving Mail
To receive mail, you need to tell your address to your family or friend sand ask them to send directly to you . However, if it is necessary to send mail to the university , you may consult the International Students Section beforehand.

(2) Sending Mail or Parcels
Letters, parcels and cash can be sent by mail.
Letters are delivered by dropping them into the mailbox. You need to go to a post office to send a parcel or cash. When you wri te the sending address in English, you should write it clearly and correctly.
Parcels can be also sent by home delivery service. This service is provided at the Co - op (in University Union) and convenience stores with a home delivery company sign
8.Post Office
In Japan, p ost offices are indicated with a g JP h sign.
Post offices deal with mail delivery service , postal savings , insurance and payment for utility bills. You can find several post offices around Nara Women f s University, including Nara Central Post Office, Higashimuki Post Office and Houren Post Office. In principle, post offices are open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (4 p.m. for banking and insurance), Monday through Friday.
Nara Central Post Office extends their hours of operation and available on Saturday, Sunday and holidays. The operation hours and services they offer can be found on the web.
If your address changes due to a move , mail or other items sent to you can be forwarded to the new address. To receive this service, you need to submit a notice of your new address to the nearest post office. The new address should be in Japan and the service is available for one year from the date of your application.
Postage for mail varies depending on type, size and weight. You may ask staff at the university or post office for the details.
Major newspapers are Asahi Shinbun, Mainichi Shinbun, Yomiuri Shinbun, Sankei Shinbun (all of them have morning and evening papers) and Nihon Keizai Shinbun , which specializes in economic news. Major English papers are The Japan Times, The Mainichi Daily News and The Daily Yomiuri . You can buy a newspaper at kiosks in train stations and convenience stores or apply for a subscription.
You can read most of these papers and major magazines at the Academic Informat ion Center.
10.Bank Account
Because in many cases scholarships are paid through a bank transfer, it is recommended to open a savings account as early as possible. To open a savings account, you need to bring an ID (such as r esidence card , Residence certi ficate(Juminhyo) or passport). Foreign currencies that can be exchanged to the Japanese yen vary according to banks.
Nanto Bank (central branch), Bank of Tokyo - Mitsubishi UFJ (Nara branch), Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (Nara branch) and other banks are available around the university.
In general, banks are open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and closed on Saturdays, Sundays and national holidays. ATM service is available after office hours, Saturdays and Sundays. In this case, please note that a fee might bec ome necessary.
11.Garbage Disposal
Household garbage is collected by the city government. Designated place, dates and time differ from are to area. Ask your neighbors or city government.
Garbage is generally classified into burnable garbage, unburnable garbage, recyclable material (glass, tin, aluminum, PET bottle, etc.) and large household garbage. You need to check the designated collection date and classification and always follow the rules.
As for disposal of large size household electric appliances, you might be required to pay a recycling fee. You can ask an electric appliance shop to collect your item.
12.TV and Radio
(1) TV
Japan Broadcasting Corporation (NHK) is a public enterprise. Each household that owns a television set must pay a recept ion fee.
Automatic payment from bank or post office is convenient for paying the receiving fee. Ask at a bank or a post office for the procedure. You can also pay the fee directly to a bill collector every two months. These are t he major TV channels availa ble in Nara City.

Channel 1 ----- NHK (Japan Broadcasting Corporation)
Channel 2 ----- NHK Educational (Japan Broadcasting Corporation)
Channel 4 ----- Mainichi Television
Channel 6 ----- Asahi Television
Channel 8 ----- Kansai Television
Channel 9 ----- Nara Telev ision
Channel 10 ---- Yomiuri Television

(2) Satellite Broadcasting
Satellite b roadcasting can be received by installing a special receiver set , but a fee is required.
You can watch satellite broadcasting programs on the TV in the Audiovisual Room of the University Union. Ask at the Student Welfare Section of the Student Support Division for instructions on use.

(3) Bilingual Broadcasting
If you have a TV equipped with a sound multiplex system, you can see news and other programs in English or original langu ages if they are broadcast bilingually.

(4) Radio
These are the main radio stations available in Nara City.

558KHz --- Kobe AMK
666KHz --- NHK 1
828KHz --- NHK 2
1008KHz --- Asahi Broadcasting Radio
1143KHz --- Kyoto Broadcasting Radio
1179KHz --- Mai nichi Broadcasting Radio
1314KHz --- Osaka Broadcasting Radio
88.1MHz --- NHK - FM
85.1MHz --- FM Osaka
76.5MHz --- FM CO.CO.LO (multilingual)
80.2MHz --- FM 802
89.4MHz --- ƒ¿ - Station
89.9MHz --- Kiss FM
78.4MHz --- Nara FM

If you have any questions, you can ask your academic advisor, tutor, or university staf