1.National Health Insurance
In Japan, National Health Insurance makes it easy to obtain medical services in case of illness or injury.
All international students staying in Japan with the qualification as gStudentsh status are required to join the National Health Insurance Program while they are in Japan.
By enrolling in this insurance, policyholders will only have to bear 30% of the expenses required for medical treatment and/or hospitalization.
International students should apply to join National Health Insurance when they visit City Hall. A National Health Insurance card will be issued at the same section on the same day. You have to take your insurance card whenever you receive a medical examination or/and a treatment.
After joining National Health Insurance, fees must be paid every month. However, a 60% reduction in the fees will be provided to those who can demonstrate that they had no income or below a certain income in Japan for the previous year. Please confirm the procedures for declaring your income at your local city hall when you join.
In addition, there is a system called gbenefit for high-cost medical care,h under which medical fees exceeding a designated limit will be supplied. Please ask at the National Health Insurance Section at City Hall for more details.
When you go back to your home country after finishing study in Japan, you must return your insurance card in advance to the local city hall and clear any remaining fees.
Japan Educational Exchanges and Services, the organization which provides services and support for all students in Japan, offers two types of insurance systems. These cover expenses for physical damages that international students incur during regular school work, extra-curricular activities or the commute between home and the university. The insurance will also cover compensation for injuries or damages inflicted in Japan by international students on others during classes, at school events or the commute to or from school. These two insurances must be used together.
All international students, including research students, are eligible to apply, and all students must purchase these insurances.
For details and application procedure, please ask at the Student Welfare Section of the Student Support Division.

(1) Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Education and Research (Gakkensai)
This insurance covers expenses for physical damage that international students incur during regular school work, extra-curricular activities and the commute between home and the university. Expenses will be paid according to the number of days of treatment.

(2) Third Party Liability Insurance Incident to Disaster and Accident Insurance for Student Education and Research ƒA course:Liability Insurance„ (Gakkenbai)
This insurance provides compensation as covered by law for injuries or damages inflicted by international students on another person during class, at school events, or while commuting to or from school. Please note that this insurance does not cover accidents during extra-curricular programs, except in some unusual circumstances.

Both forms of insurance must be purchased at the same time. Premiums for the insurance are as follows.

ƒThe HP for both insurances is„

ƒThe HP for Japan Educational Exchanges and Services is„
Status Duration of Insurance Premium
Undergraduate Letters
Human Life and Environment
4years 4,660yen
Gakkensai 3,300yen
Gakkenbai 1,360yen
Graduate School Humanities and Sciences
Masterfs Course
2years 2,430 yen
Gakkensai 1,750yen
Gakkenbai 680yen
Humanities and Sciences
Doctoral Course
3years 3,620 yen
Gakkensai 2,600yen
Gakkenbai 1,020yen
Non - degree students Letters
Human Life and Environment
Humanities and Sciences
1years 1,340 yen
Gakkensai 1,000yen
Gakkenbai 340yen
Also, Japanese Government Scholarship Students and exchange students must get another insurance called gComprehensive Insurance for Students Livesh. The International Students Section of the International Division explains the insurance to those students individually. Other students than government scholorship students and exchange students are also eligible to get this insurance, so if you are interested in this insurance, please ask for details at the International Students Section.
3.Health Care Center
The Health Care Center helps students maintain and improve their health with a regular checkup and consultation about their mental and physical conditions. Students can also receive first-aid treatment for their injuries and sudden illness on campus. The center is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
When you are not sure if you should call an ambulance or go to a clinic outside of the hours above, please call the Emagency Rielief Center in Nara. You can get adivice from a nurse. *24-hours service.
TELF#7119ior 0744-20-0119j
4.Hospitals and Clinics around the University
Institution TEL Services
Nara City Hospital 0742-24-1251 Internal Medicine, Surgery, Radiology, other
Sawai Hospital 0742-23-3086 Internal Medicine, Surgery, Radiology, Orthopedics, other
Kitano Clinic 0742-22-6041 Internal Medicine, Dermatology, Surgery
Sano Clinic *Available in English 0742-22-3277 Internal Medicine, Respiratory department, Allergy, Gastrointestinal department, Medical checkup (at your own expense)
Takai Ladies Clinic 0742-26-0551 Gynecology
Iida Dermatology 0742-23-0701 Dermatology
Komai Dermatology clinic 0742-27-0361 Dermatology
Ishizaki Eye Clinic 0742-26-2091 Ophthalmological clinic
Tamaki Otolaryngology 0742-26-6587 Otolaryngology
Terada Dental Clinic 0742-26-2158 Dentistry
Tomimori Dental Clinic 0742-22-3332 Dentistry
Nara City Emergency Clinic 0742-34-1228 Internal Medicine
Holiday: 9:30 ` 18:30, 21:30 ` 5:30
Saturday: 14:30 ` 18:30, 21:30 ` 5:30
Weekdays Night: 21:00 ` 5:30
Nara City Emergency Dental Clinic 0742-70-4182 Dentistry
Holiday 9:30 ` 11:30, 13:00 ` 15:30
*These hospitals may be closed temporally because of urgent business. So you should contact them prior to your visit.
5. A First-aid Kit
We recommend you to have a first-aid kit in you room.
œclinical thermometer, plaster, cooling gel sheet
œpainkiller (e.g.paracetamol), stomach medication
œisotonic drink, pre-packed food
6.Regular Health Checkup (except for Non-regular students)
This checkup is held in every early April.
More details will be on the website (http://www.nara-wu.ac.jp/hoken/index.html) and bulletin board accordingly. The health check items include height and weight measurement, urinalysis, visual acuity test, hearing test (conversation method), chest X-ray film, and medical examination. The results can be issued as ghealth checkup certificateh by automatic issuing machine.
7. Tuberculosis Warnings
This is an infectious disease. When you have prolonged cough, please consult a medical institution immediately. If you also have a slight fever and night sweats with such cough, go see a doctor without delay.

qTokyo Metropolitan Government Bureau of Social Welfare and Public Health Multilingual movie about tuberculosisr