1. Status of Residence
Under the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act in Japan, all foreign nationals who study at Japanese universities (including graduate schools) or other educational institutions are required to obtain gStudenth status.
If you have a different status at the time of enrollment at Nara Womenfs University, you need to contact the International Students Section of the International Division and change it to gStudenth status at the Regional Immigration Bureau as soon as possible.
Please notify the International Students Section of the International Division as soon as you change the status of your residence card.
2. Procedures of Residency Management
When international students with "Student" status enter Japan, a "residence card" is issued at the passport control. The term of validity of the residence card is the period of stay. If you extend the period of stay, a new residence card will be issued.
Your resident status can be revoked if you don't commit yourself to conduct the activities relevant to your status for more than three months without a valid reason.

(1) New residents
You must register your address at a local city hall with your residence card within 14 days of securing a place to live in Japan. The address will then be written on your residence card.
After you register your address, you will receive a notification card, what is known as eMy Numberf, a 12|digit number assigned to each resident in Japan. The eMy Numberf system identifies the personal information regarding each resident retained in several institutions and enhances efficiency in the distribution of social welfare resources. The notification card (My Number) will be sent to you by registered mail, and you should make sure to keep it safely. Do not disclose your number to anyone since it may lead to personal information abuse. Please know that your workplace may require your number to pay your wages. When you leave for your home country, the notification card (My Number) should be returned to the City Hall along with your National Health Insurance card.

(2) Moving in / out
When you move, you must submit the notification for moving out with your residence card to the local city hall of your previous residence to receive a gCertificate of moving outh. Then, you must take the procedure for moving in with the certificate and your residence card to the local city hall of your new residence within 14 days of moving into the new residence.

(3) Application for other changes (other than address)
Changes and corrections on your residence card (e.g. name and nationality) must be notified to the Immigration Office within 14 days of the change. Only when you apply for an extension of the period of stay, you are permitted to include the Chinese characters of your name on the residence card without any charges.
3. Carrying your Residence Card at all times
You must carry your residence card with you at all times, and present it to the police, immigration officers or other officials upon request.
You must return the residence card to passport control at an airport when you leave Japan permanently, unless you have a special re-entry permit or a re-entry permit.
4. Extension of Period of Stay
International students with gStudenth status are permitted to stay in Japan from three months to four years and three months. Those who stay longer than the permitted period need to apply for an extension before the residence status expires.
The renewal procedure must be completed before the expiration date. Please note that during a leave of absence from university, an extension of the period of stay is not permitted. Also, you cannot apply for the extension of stay after the expiration date. Please make sure to make an application well before the expiration date.
An application to extend the period of stay can be submitted three months prior to the expiration date at the Regional Immigration Bureau. (Those who live in Nara Prefecture can apply at the Nara branch office.) The following documents and fee are required.
ƒRequired Documents„
Please note that you may be required to submit other documents.
1) Application form for Extension of Period of Stay, applicantfs part (available at the International Division)
2) Application form for Extension of Period of Stay, organizationfs part (issued at the International Division)
3) Certificate of Enrollment (Issued by automatic certificate machines or at the Educational Affairs Division)*
4) Transcript (For regular students. Issued by automatic certificate machines or at the counter of the Educational Affairs Division)
5) Statement of the substance of research (For Research Students and some regular students, a statement will be provided by their academic advisors)
6) Documents that prove financial ability to cover living expenses
7) Passport
8) Residence Card
9) 4,000 revenue stamp (available at a post office)
*A former research student who has changed her status to regular one is required to submit her Certificate of Enrollment at the first renewal.
5.Temporary Leave and Re-entry
When you leave Japan (e.g. going home or traveling abroad), you need to obtain Re-entry permit or Special re-entry permit accordingly.

œRe-entry permit
If you leave Japan and will not be returning in a year, you need to obtain Re-entry permit from the Immigration Office prior to your departure. Please note that your Re-entry permit will become invalid if you do not enter Japan within the valid period of the permit.
ƒRequired Documents„
1) Application form for re-entry permit (available at the Immigration Office)
2) Passport
3) Residence Card
4) Student ID Card
5) Handling fee (3,000 yen for one time / 6,000 yen for multiple re-entry)

œSpecial re-entry permit
When you leave Japan, and plan to come back within a year or before the expiration date of your period of stay if your remaining period is less than one year, you can obtain Special re-entry permit, instead of Re-entry permit. At airports, you should check the box for eI am leaving Japan temporarily and will return.f on Embarkation Card for Reentrant, and show it together with your passport and residence card to the Immigration officer.
Please note that you should return within the permitted period, and you can not extend the valid period from outside of Japan.

Prior to your departure, please make sure to obtain a permission from your academic advisor as well as to submit a eNotification of Temporary Leavef to the International Division.
6. Work Permit for Part-time Jobs
Since your status of residence is gStudenth, you are not permitted to work or receive monetary compensation. However, students who need to supplement school and living expenses will be able to obtain a work permit that allows them to work part-time. Those who work without this permit will be imposed or deported from Japan.
To apply for a work permit, you need to contact the International Students Section of the International Division first. Then, you will go to the Immigration Office and apply for permission. Those who work with a permit must comply with the permission rules, and work should not interfere with your studies and research.
Students with valid work permit can work up to 28 hours per week. (During a long holiday season, students are allowed to work for a maximum of 8 hours per day and within 40 hours per week.) The type of work permitted will be printed on your passport and residence card. Please know that part-time jobs related to the entertainment and amusement industries are not permitted. (Regardless of types of work you engage in, you are not allowed to work in establishments such as bars, cabarets, pachinko parlors, or mah-jongg clubs.) Additionally, you are not allowed to work during a long-term absence from the university.
If you have any worries or concerns regarding your part-time job, please talk to your academic advisor or the staff at the International Division.
ƒRequired Documents„
1) Application for work permit (available at the International Division)
2) Passport
3) Residence Card
7.Family Members' Coming to Live in Japan
It is quite difficult to find an apartment around the university for a family to move in. For this reason, you should carefully consider inviting your family members to live in Japan.
Concerning visas for your family, they can apply at the Japanese Embassy in your home country. You should prepare for the application by yourself.
Please check the necessary documents for application at Regional Immigration Bureau. Please know that not all applications are accepted, as it depends on the applicantfs financial situation.
8.Leave of Absence / Withdrawal / Expelled from the University
Students with gStudenth status who take a leave of absence from the University cannot remain in Japan and work at part-time jobs. They are required to either complete the necessary procedures to change their residence status or depart from Japan immediately. Students should consult with the International Division before taking a leave of absence.
We will notify MEXT(The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology) and Immigration Bureau of students who have withdrawn or been expelled from the University or gone missing. These students must return to their countries immediately.
9.Changing the Status of Residence
If you change your status of residence to any other than gStudenth while you are enrolled in our university, you will not be able to receive the scholarships and other supports.
If you wish to change your status of residence due to special circumstances while in school, please consult with the staff at the International Students Section of the International Division beforehand.
After graduation or finishing courses at our university, you need to change your status of residence according to your situation.
Please note that it is illegal to overstay with your gStudenth status visa even if the residence period is still valid after your study abroad period ends.
10.About Passport Control
All forein nationals who apply to enter Japan must have their fingerprints and facial photograph taken by special machines at a passport control. This system applies to all entering Japan, except for a few people exempted from the examination. If you refuse, you will be denied to enter Japan.
11.Immigration Office
ƒNara Branch Office of the Osaka Regional Immigration Bureau„
Nara Dai 2 Homu Sogo Chosha, 3-4-1, Higashikidera-cho, Nara city, 630-8305

Permission to acquire or change status of residence / Extension of period of stay / Reentry permits / Consultation regarding residence procedures

ƒBusiness Hours„
Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. | 12 :00 p.m., 13:00 p.m. | 16:00 p.m.
(Saturdays, Sundays and National holidays are closed)