In order to study abroad at a Japanese university, you must obtain an overseas study visa from an overseas Japanese diplomatic establishment (such as an embassy or consulate general). To this end, there is the method of directly applying for a visa yourself at a overseas Japanese diplomatic establishment, and the method of applying for a visa through University staff to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility for Resident Status from the Immigration Bureau in advance, and to take this certificate with you to an overseas Japanese diplomatic establishment.
The Certificate of Eligibility for Resident Status certifies to the Immigration Bureau that you satisfy the conditions in order to entry into the country. If you have this certificate, you will be able to complete the procedure for obtaining a visa at an overseas Japanese diplomatic establishment and the airport immigration check more smoothly.
The basic procedure to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility for Resident Status is explained below. However, depending on your university status and other factors (for example, whether you are a regular student or a non-regular student) the required procedure may differ. Individual guidance is provided by the International Division, so please progress your preparations according to that guidance.
- 1.Prepare the necessary documents for the application for the Certificate of Eligibility for Resident Status.
- * If you are an exchange student, you will have submitted these documents for the exchange application, so you don’t need to prepare them again.
1.Certificate of Eligibility for Resident Status application form (for applicant use)
2.Resume (there is a University-specific format)
3.3 photographs (each 4cm x 3cm)
4.A copy of the permit for your admission to study
5.A copy of your passport (the page with your individual information)
* If you have previously visited Japan, the pages with the relevant immigration and emigration stamps are also required.
6.Expense Payment book
This document shows to the Immigration Bureau that you have funds necessary to study abroad. If you are covering all of your fees while you study abroad yourself, please prepare your own bank statements. If your family is covering your expenses, you will need your family’s bank statements, certificates of employment, kinship certifications, etc.
* Other than these documents, the Immigration Bureau may request that you submit additional documents.
- 2.Apply to the Immigration Bureau through the International Division. The application procedure generally takes one to two months, from submitting the application to issuing the Certificate of Eligibility for Resident Status.
- 3.If you are granted a Certificate of Eligibility for Resident Status, it will be sent by post.
- 4.Please apply for a visa at an overseas Japanese diplomatic establishment in your home country. You can check if you need any other documents other than the Certificate of Eligibility for Resident Status on the homepage of the overseas Japanese diplomatic establishment.
- Please be sure to let the International Division know if you have received a visa and your schedule for coming to Japan has been confirmed.