1.Status of Residence
Under the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act in Japan, all foreigners who study at Japanese universities (including graduate schools) or other educational institutions are required to receive g ryugaku status h .
If you do not have g ryugaku status h at the time of enroll ing in Nara Women f s University, you need to contact the International Students Section of the International Division and apply for a change of status at the Regional Immigration Bureau as soon as possible.
When you receive status of residence card, you are required to promp tly notify the International Students Section of the International Division as well.
2.Procedures of residency management
When international students who ha ve been given " ryugaku status" enter Japan, a "Residence card" is issued at pas s port contr o l. The term of validity of the residence card is the period of stay. If you exten d the period of stay, a new residence card will be issued. An a lien registration card will be deemed equivalent to the residence card for the period of stay, and a new residence card will be issued when the period of stay extension is granted.

(1) New resident
International students must register at the local city hall with a residence card within 14 days of finding a place to live in J apan . T he address will then be filled in on your residence c ard.

(2) Application for change of address
If you change your address, yo u must submit the notification for moving out , with your residence card, to the local city hall of your previous residence. There, a "Certificate of moving out" will be i ssued. After that, you must take the notification for moving in, with the certificate and your residence card, to the local city hall of your new residence within 14 days of moving in to the new residence.

(3) Application for other changes (other than addr ess)
Changes and corrections on the Residence card or Certificate of Alien Registration (e.g . , name and nationality ) must be submitted to the Immigration Office within 14 days of the change. When applying for a n update of the period of stay, you can includ e the Chinese characters of your name on the residence card.
3.Carry your Residence card at all times
You must have your residence card with you at all times, and keep it in a safe place. You must present your residence card to the police, immigration of ficers or other officials when requested to do so. You must return the residence card to passport control when you leave the country , except if you have a special re - entry permit or a re - entry permit.
4.Extension of Period of Stay
International students with g ryugaku status h are permitted to stay in Japan for one to four years . Those who stay longer than this period need to apply for an extension before the residence status ex p ires. The r enewal proc edure must be completed before the expiration date. Howev er , during a long - term absence from university , an extension of the period of stay is not permitted. Also, you cannot apply for the extension of stay after the expiration date. Make sure of this, as exceeding the designated period is illegal.
An a pplicat ion to extend the period of stay can be submitted three months prior to the expiration date at the Regional Immigration Bureau. ( Those who live in Nara Prefecture can apply at the Nara branch office . ) T he following documents and fee are required :
ƒNecessary Documents„
1) Application form for Extension of Period of Stay , applicantfs part (available at the International Division)
2) Application form for Extension of Period of Stay , organization f s part (issued at the International Division)
3) Certificate of En rolment (Issued by automatic certificate machines or at the counter of the Educational Affairs Division)
4) Transcript (For regular students. Issued by automatic certificate machines or at the counter of the Educational Affairs Divisionj
5) Statement of th e substance of research (For research students/ Must be issued by the academic advisors)
6) Documents that prove their financial ability to cover the living expenses
7) Passport
8) Residence Card
9) \ 4,000 revenue stamp (available at the post office)
* In some cases, you may be required to submit other documents.
5.Temporary Leave and Re - entry
If you leave Japan for a short period of time , for example , to go on vacation or to go home, you need to obtain a re - entry permit from the Immigration Office before leaving. However, if you will be returning to Japan within one year (or before the expiration of your visa if this is le ss than one year) you do not need to obtain a re - entry permit.
When using this procedure to leave Japan for short periods of time, you must check the appropriate column on your embarkation / disembarkation card at the airport , and present it with your residence card and passport.
It should be noted that it is NOT possible to extend your period of stay in Japan while overseas , and that if y ou do not return to Japan while your permit is valid, you will lose the right to re - enter Japan.
Even if you leave Japan with the permit , you should return within the permitted period. A permit that has pas sed its expiry date is invalid.
Please carry your residence card with you when you temporar ily leave and return to Japan.
Please remember to get permission from your academic advisor and to submit a gNotification of Temporary Leaveh to the International Students Section before embarking on your trip.
If you leave Japan for more than one year, you need to obtain a re - entry permit from the Immigration Office before leaving. If you leave without this permit, you need to obtain a visa again , and you will not be able to return to Japan as scheduled. If you do n ot return to Japan within the permitted period, you are cautioned that you will lose the perm
Necessary Documents
1) Application form for Re - entry Permit (available at the Immigration Office. )
2) Passport
3) Residence Card
4) Student ID
5) \ 3,000 revenue stamp ( \ 6,000 for multiple re - entry) *available at the post office
6.Work Permit for Part - time Jobs
Because your status of residence is g ryugaku status h , you are not permitted to work or receive monetary compensation . However, students who need to supplement school and living expenses will be able to obtain a work permit that allow s them to work part - time.Those who work without this permit will be punished or deport ed from Japan .
To apply for your work permi t , you need to first contact the Internatio nal Students Section of the International Division . In principle, students must go to the Immigration Office themselves and apply for permission. Those who work with a permit must comply with the permission rules, and work should not interfere with your st ud ies and research.
The standard number of hours per week accepted for students with a valid work permit is 28 hours. (During a long holiday season, students are allowed to work for a maximum of 8 hours per day.) The type of work permitted will be printed on your passport and residence card . However, part - time jobs related to the entertainment and amusement industries are not permitted. (For example, regardless of the position you fill , you are not allowed to work in establishments such as bars, cabarets, pachinko parlors, or mah - jongg clubs) In addition, you are not allow e d to work during a long - term absence from the university.
If you have any trouble regarding your p art - time job , please talk to your academic advisor or the staff at the International Divi sion.
Necessary documents
1) Application for work permit (available at the International Division )
2) Passport
3) Residence Card
7.Family Members' Coming to Live in Japan
It is difficult to find an apartment around the university for a family to move in to . For this reason, you should carefully consider invit ing your family members to live in Japan .
Concerning visa s for your family, they can apply at the Japanese Embassy in your home country. In that case, please prepare and confirm it by yourself.
According to circumstances, it is possible to shorten the process of obtaining a visa if you apply in Japan for a gCertificate of Eligibilityh. Please confirm the necessary documents for application at Regional Immigration Bureau. Do keep in mind that not a ll applications are accepted, as it depends on the applicantfs financial situation.
8.Changing the Status of Residence
Please note, if you change your status of residence to any other than g ryugaku status h while you are enrolled in our university, you will not be able to receive the scholarships and other supports .
If you wish to change your status of residence due to special circumstances while you are enrolled in our university, please consult with the International Student s Section of the Internation al Division beforehand.
After graduate from or finishing at the university, If you will continue to stay in Japan for a job, etc. you need to change your visa.
Please note that it is illegal to over stay on with your " ryugaku status " visa even if the resi dence period is still valid when your study abroad period finished .
9.About passport control
The Immigration Bureauf s examination method changed. All foreigners who apply to enter Japan must have their fingerprint s and fac ial photograph taken by specia l machine s at passport control. The new system applies to all foreigners entering Japan , even residents (with the exemption of only a few). If you refuse , you will not be permitted to enter Japan and must leave the country.
10.Immigration Office
ƒNara Br anch Office of the Osaka Regional Immigration Bureau„
Nara Dai 2 Homu Sogo Chosha, 3 - 4 - 1, Higashikidera - cho, Nara city, 630 - 8305
Website Fhttp://www.immi-moj.go.jp/

Permission to acquire or change status of residence / Extension of period of stay / Reentry permits / Consultation regarding residence procedures

ƒBusiness Hours„
Monday through Friday , 9:00 a.m. | 12 :00 p.m. , 13:00 p.m. | 16:00 p.m.
(Saturday s , Sunday s and National holidays are closed)